There was no winner of the jackpot and next week’s jackpot is €8,950 and the numbers drawn were 23,25,27,28.
The weekly winners of €30 were
• Keith Mayock, Lahardane, Mayo.
• Anthony Costello, SHH, c/o P. Menton.
• Marita Nugent, Woodview, Ardsallagh.
• Kenny & Catherine Doyle, Ardsallagh.
COACHING NEWS (WK 04 2018)
A. Team Managers & Coaches for 2018 – Final Reminder
All Team Managers are requested to confirm their coaches for the 2018 season by e-mail by Friday 26 January.
Please e-mail names and contact numbers of your coaches to:
Minor Board Secretary: Secretarybng.firstname.lastname@example.org
Coaching Officer: email@example.com
1. Team Managers and Coaches must be Garda Vetted.
2. Team Managers and coaches must have attended a Child Protection in Sport class (formerly called Code of Ethics)
3. Each team manager should identify what Coaching Courses coaches in their group have completed.
4. Roscommon Games and Administration will shortly be running Coach Education Courses and it is most important that any gaps re. Garda Vetting, Child Protection in Sport and Foundation F/H within our club coaching group are closed.
B. Nursery Programme : Starting 2018 Season
The club is working towards implementing a Nursery Programme for our youngest members. The details/structure of the programme are being worked through at present but it will look something like:-
• 12- 16 week programme.
• Programme would start Week 1 of May and continue to mid July/August.
• Players can be accepted if they have started in Primary School.
• First 4-5 weeks would be indoor concentrating on an ABC programme and getting them to follow along with a session environment, getting a little discipline and getting them to listen.
• Second 4 weeks we could be starting to ease off on the ABC and start basic ball movements (Hop, Catch-up Kick) so a 50/50 session
• Third 4 weeks ABC + Starting to bring in Simple Games.
• Another 4 weeks TBC depending on how we feel the first 12 went and how we are getting along.
• There will be an emphasis on Fun.. Fun... Fun... while developing their interest of the game and encouraging them to stay with us.
• Objectives at the end from a child’s perspective is that they come away confident, wanting to come back, have developed some motor skills, they know what the sessions are about and they’ve being introduced to some basic GAA skills. Also, we have new parent recruits.
Some of the drivers behind the programme include:
• Starting too early within the existing U8 Structure has proved challenging especially weather wise. It can still be cold and it’s hard to keep the younger children going and probably not terribly nice to look at from a parent’s perspective.
• The U8 season is too long for younger children and it is debatable how much value they get out of 30+ sessions...
• The programme will reduce the load on the U8 Coaches, thereby allowing them to run effective training sessions.
Thank You to Declan Hussey for the work done to date on promoting the Nursery Programme and for putting the foundation blocks in place.
For the Nursery Programme to be a success we will need input from our Coaches. More details will follow
C. Club Mentoring Workshop / Planning for 2018
This important workshop will include an opportunity for all our coaches to present their views on how we can improve our club. Information on implementation of the Programme within our club will follow in the coming weeks.
If you or you know of anyone interested in being a referee put your name forward courses are starting in March. Level 1 Referees Course on Saturday 3rd and 10th of February, in Hannon’s Hotel, Roscommon from 9.30am to 4pm approx. There is a shortage of Referees; it is up to clubs to supply them without them games can’t be played. If you are interested please contact Niamh 086 3818389.
Winner of the 25 card game on Monday the 15th of January in The Hyde Centre were Kathleen Finan, Maureen Kilmartin and Michael Finan. Well done all. Thank you to all for your support, new players always welcome Mondays at 8.30pm.
Our Annual Club Mass will be celebrated on Sunday 4th February at 10.30am. The Club Committee wishes to invite all members, past and present to attend and asks that if possible could members attend in the club colours.
While every effort will be made to notify the large numbers of people involved, the Committee would welcome your assistance in spreading the word to former Club members who may have moved from the locality.
CASH FOR CLOBBER
We will be holding a Cash for Clobber initiative later in the year but we will accept a collection on a Sunday night 8.30pm-9.30pm using the bar entrance in the Hyde Centre or alternatively you can contact Harry Hoare on (086) 3436225 to arrange a drop off. Please donate all your clean unwanted clothes, bed linen, towels, curtains, shoes, bags, belts and soft toys etc. Also accepted are mobile phones, laptops, so if any house is doing a clearout please contact us and we will store the bags. We ask that bags are not left unattended at any time.
It’s a great opportunity to do a clear out and to easily earn money for the Club in the process. So get de cluttering!
A big congrats to Marie McAleer who is to receive The GAA Presidents Award. Marie is the Roscommon Ladies Football Secretary and also a member of The Roscommon Gaels. Marie will be honored with the GAA Presidents award in Croke Park in February for her services to ladies football. Marie was founding member of the Roscommon Ladies Board in 1974 and was also Vice-President of the national ladies board.
Congrats Marie It’s nice to see you being rewarded for all your hard work. Well done.
Congrats to our clubman Mark Nally who has been recruited by Longford for the 2018 Season. Well done.